MITTA MITTA

(www.northeastvictoria.online)


Pastoral properties in the Mitta Mitta area were first taken up by Europeans in 1840, when Samuel Bowler (and others) journeyed overland from Sydney. Several pastoral runs were soon in operation, all of them clustered around the Mitta Mitta River, a major stream first documented by explorers Hume and Hovell in 1824. loading...

The flatish ground alongside the Mitta Mitta River, and nearby Snowy Creek, was an obvious site for a township, and a fledgling town started to become established in the late 1840s, soon to be spurred on by the discovery of gold.

Gold was discovered during 1851, and this lead to many small scale mines starting up in the area, with a consequent demand for goods and services that only a nearby town can provide. Not only did Mitta Mitta have its own goldfields, but there were other fields close by that contributed to the development of the township, with a constant flow of goods, people and services passing through the new township on their way to places such as Granite Flat, Sunnyside, Glen Wills and Glen Valley.

The many visitors to the valley at this time included renowned painter Eugen von Geurard, and his painting Spring in the Valley of the Mitta Mitta was (and still is) highly regarded. His other works of this area include Head of the Mitta Mitta River.

Both of these works form part of the National Gallery of Victoria collection.

In the Mitta Mitta area itself, small scale mining continued for about 30 years, but as the easy pickings faded away, a different form of gold mining (sluicing) began.

Sluicing was comparatively new method of gold mining (it was first used in California, during the 1840s) and was eminently suited to the Mitta Mitta area, given that two very productive (and reliable) streams were close at hand, with some good gradients to provide plenty of gravitational grunt to those jets of water. loading...

The Union Gold Sluicing Company was formed at Mitta Mitta in 1884, and quickly began hydraulic sluicing in the area. Soon after Union Gold was formed, the Pioneer Hydraulic Mining Company also began operations in the area; it subsequently absorbed the Union Gold Company and continued with its sluice mining operations until 1904.

The mine yielded about 15,000 ounces of gold, and the main sluicing site is still visible as the red-orange escarpment backdrop to the town (on the left as you pass through the centre of the township). A documented 45 minute (1.5km) walking track around the mine site leads from near the general store - see below.

After 1904, the Pioneer Mining Company continued its operations in the Mitta Mitta area, but concentrated more on the alluvial (dredging) method, rather than the sluicing. Given the vast expanse of floodplain deposits in the area there was plenty of opportunity for this type of mining, however by 1914 it was all over, and the mine closed down.

So the mines have gone, and present day Mitta Mitta hangs its’ Akubra as much on tourism as agriculture, and makes a great base camp for fishing, mountain bike riding and 4wd trips.


Once in Mitta Mitta there is a limited range of accommodation and services, however fuel is available, as are food supplies. The Mitta Pub (aka, the Laurel Hotel) serves an excellent counter meal, and has a small amount of accommodation, whilst Magorra Caravan Park, just over the river from the township offers very good camping, and some on-site vans.

Not far out of town, the Mitta Mitta Brewery is also well worth a visit (see the Brewery listing on the Home Page for more details).

Also nearby, there are many excellent access points to the Mitta Mitta River, several of which are well known bush camping areas. See the Mitta Valley website (link below) for more details.


Short Walks at Mitta Mitta township

As mentioned above, there is a 1.5km (30 minute, AWTGS-2) walking track at Mitta Mitta that loops around the Pioneer Mine Site.

This (and other) walks are detailed on the Mitta Mitta website, along with a handy sketch map; see the link below. loading...

Other walks detailed on this website are,

Although each of these walks provide plenty of interest, not all are totally suitable for young children, as there are several mine relics still open in the area. See Staying Safe in the Australian Bush : A Travellers Guide (Andrew Monroe) for some relevant safety information regarding old mine sites.

Access to the Pioneer mine site is signposted (to the right) as you first enter the township, and this leads to a Parks Victoria sign, and subsequently to a small car parking area.

An information board here details the history of mining in the area, as well as providing a nice map of the each walk.


Mitta Valley Website - camping

Mitta Valley Website

Mitta Mitta Community Website

WODONGA to OMEO (via Mitta Mitta township, Mount Wills, Glen Valley and the Blue Duck)


Intro Screen on a fresh browser page

Go Back to Menus

Go Back to SiteMap

COPYRIGHT © 1995-2020, Chris McLaughlin.